I have been offline on my account for the last week. I haven’t been posting planned content. I have been thinking. I have been having conversations. I have been finding resources. I have been educating myself.
The tragic death of George Floyd has swept sadness globally. It has hit home for many people, but the black community in particular. It was huge catalyst for the #BlackLivesMatterMovement, ingniting protests, campaigns and most importantly education.
And thank god. There is change to be made.
It pains me to think that unfortunately there are people in this world that do not think people are equal due to the colour of their skin. To me, my brain simply can’t even register how others can have a view like this. Everyone is equal and everyone has the same worth.
No matter how much melanin someone has, everyone is equal. We are all equal, and it is truly heart breaking that some people still do not recognise that we all are WORTHY.
This past week has been a week of education many people, including myself. I am in no way saying I was an expert then or now. I am educating myself.
I have been overwhelmed with the amount of resources I was not using before. But I am now. I am educating myself.
I am so glad that more and more people are using their time to raise awareness, campaign for justice and educate others.
People are doing this offline too. They are using resources, donating and signing petitions in their own way.
We all live on the same planet, equally deserving of it’s beauty. There is no place for injustice and inequality EVER. Be kind to everyone, use your voice compassionately and educate others to make a positive change.
Please educate yourself, please be kind. We all need to pull together, as one.
Here are some useful links to help the cause, there are lots out there, but these are a few I have compiled. Click the links and hopefully this can help you too.
Funding Racial Justice
Petitions to support the Black Lives Matter movement:
- Justice for George Floyd Petition
- Petition #WeCantBreathe
Links I have found useful:
- George Floyd: how can I help from the UK?
- A Guide to White Privilege
- Racism & the UK: What they didn’t teach us in school
- Racism & Supporting the Black Community
- 10 Simple Ways White People Can Step Up to Fight Everyday Racism
Books to read:
- Me and White Supremacy: How to Recognise Your Privilege, Combat Racism and Change the World by Layla F. Saad.
- Why I’m No Longer Talking To White People About Race by Reni Eddo-Lodge
- I’m Still Here: Black Dignity in a world made for whiteness by Austin Channing Brown.
- White Fragility by Robin Diangelo
- So You Want To Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluo.
Podcasts to listen to:
- About Race – Hosted by Reni Eddo-Lodge
- Momentum: A Race Forward
- Speaking of Racism
And there are many, many more resources too!
Read, listen, watch, write, speak, donate, sign.
Do what you can to support.
I am aware that so many are people are sharing useful links that are the same and this is so great, but I wanted to create a reflection and list of things I have found useful to educate myself that you also may find useful too.
If you have other petitions or funds to support, or other platforms to promote, please comment, share so we can all do more to support.
All my love, always,